A commitment to East Coast customers
Today, more than ever before, providing excellent customer service is central to the success of the railway in a very challenging economic climate. Customers remain at the heart of everything we do in East Coast. The franchise has a good track record in delivering customer service and Directly Operated Railways is building on that success. Our goal is for East Coast to become the leading long distance rail operator in every aspect of our customers' journey experiences, from being able to find information before they travel, to using East Coast stations, travelling on board East Coast trains and arriving at their destinations.
We recognise that our customers have a choice in how they travel. We want them to choose us again and again and recommend us to their friends, family and colleagues because of the consistently excellent service that we provide.
We know that our customers' priorities are:
- Punctuality and reliability of the train
- The ability to get a seat
- Being kept informed of any delays or changes to the journey
- The speed of journey
- Train cleanliness, including toilet facilities
Directly Operated Railways' goal for East Coast is to make sure we are the leading long distance operator in every category important to customers. We are doing this by:
- Focusing on delivering the 'basics' for the service, and to a consistently high standard
- Recognising that every individual customer matters
- Empowering East Coast managers and their teams to deliver great customer service, and
- Putting customer service at the heart of everything East Coast does
Directly Operated Railways will continue to remain a supportive owner of East Coast for as long as it remains in public hands. It is ensuring that the investment in the business is sustained and that the taxpayer continues to receive value for money; and it is fair and open in the way it deals with the franchise - its customers, staff and other stakeholders.
At the point of future transfer to a new private sector franchisee, Directly Operated Railways is intent on handing over East Coast as a 'great' business.